monday afternoon

the first

pauṣa



. . .


“a place where words are born of silence”


rūmī











the day is over
and the moon has come into my sky.
i’m standing in my balcony, meeting him in silence. 
somewhere under this late winter sky birds are returning home.
i’m returning too.
to this place. 
to press moments, like flowers, between sheafs of words.

moments i want to remember.

 
.

in the evening he sits beside me,
lost in something he’s doing.
his hand gently rests on my aching head.
nothing much.
still, i want to remember.

next night, he is listening to my memories 
as if they are becoming his own.

in the afternoon, a book arrives in the post.
inside, the pages are stuck.
so i sit separating them with a bīdrī  knife.
revealing one beautiful illustration after another.

later, i find a tiny handmade card
saanjh has secretly left for me by the bedside.
an early birthday present.
also, a gift of another kind - a trace, of who she is today
for me to remember when the memory of this day has faded in my mind.

i want to remember
all these moments
moments made of nothing much.
no beginning, no ending
still, lingering.
between sheafs of my words here.

.

i want to remember
how the cold wind of these last days
feel on my skin
before the śiśira sun comes to envelope my world.

. . .



1 comment:

  1. How wonderful to read your beautiful words here again! As always, your photography just takes me breath away. This morning I began writing my new book. I promised myself that each year I will start on the same date. I wrote about a childhood memory of swallows returning to their nest at my grandmother's house in the Spring. I love seeing that theme mirrored her in your words.

    ReplyDelete